Sunday, April 27, 2008

Gardening As A Theatre

"We are such stuff as dreams are made on, and are little lives are rounded with a sleep".- William Shakespeare, The Tempest

It is 1621, in fall bleak and sombre. every step on the rotting flora releases a crimson blood that pervades the sylvan hearth. the auspicious winds of spring, and profusion of summer have acquired a phantasmagoric quality, and we are infused with dolour. We tentatively hold a feast thanking god for the foison, though uncertain the quantity will last us through the austerity of winter.

Imagine this despondent scene. We, in our endless bounty thanks to technological milestones, will most likely never encounter such a doleful occasion once again, with the exception of third world countries. Gardener, return to the days of yore. get yourself in the mindset beginning in late winter. though we must primarily utilize a computer to order seeds, we must order a quantity( and variety) of flora that will get us through summer and winter. yes, this is but a pretence of necessity, however, when we as gardeners view our task as secondary or tertiary, and not imperative to our survival, we slack off, and sometimes plants succumb due to our indolence. however, if we view our task of planting palatable flora as incumbent for survival, the laissez-faire philosophy pertaining to gardening will be eradicated, we will be viewing a more bountiful harvest, and by saving seeds(as they did in times past) we shall be saving money. Now, dear reader, by no means am i stating that we should not utilize modern means of cultivation, we should simply pretend that it is times past in terms of be attentive to our plants needs( observing them with assiduity) and the quantity/variety of plants you buy. in fact, i have plans for planting a great deal of palatable flora next year. i shall be sharing my garden plans with you. hold this philosophy dear to you, ignore the absurd quotidian routine of the times, and return to the garden. not only will you see a positive change in your verdure, but in yourself, too. Indolence is lovely, but gets us nowhere.

4 comments:

Barbee' said...

Ah, guilty of laissez-faire gardening, I needed this jerk back to reality. The simplest is reality. Thank you for the reminder.

Steve said...

Well said, Alec! Positively 16th Century prose there, lol. You balance a pretty wide number of things and subjects while having at your garden muse and I admire you for that.

I enjoy reading your blog and am now threatening to make it a more regular visitation. You made me laugh in a comment in Barbee's blog. Now see what you did???

(I once took almost an entire year off, collecting Unemployment and living in this island (Cortes) in British Colombia's Strait of Juan de Fuca. It allowed me to read 24/7 if I wanted, a mile from the nearest human on the ocean. And I did, just exactly that pretty much, answering another muse.

I think you may not need to get that drastic. You have already read more in your young life than I probably ever will. But think of the gardening! You would kick butt!

Phillip Oliver said...

Thank you so much for your comments on my blog. I'm looking forward to looking at yours!

kathy said...

Wonderful!

I also like to think of what it was like to be a gardener in previous times. Unfortunately it doesn't make much economic sense now to spend hours in the garden when the grocery store is right around the corner. What if I added up the cost in time and purchases of my gardening? A silly hobby I'm afraid. But it does bring so much enjoyment.

Another question is if gardening would be as enjoyable if it were a matter of survival. A job. It would be different.

I have grown 99% of my plants from seed this year, a few from saved seed, and am feeling very bonded with my growing seedlings and my hobby.

Thanks for sharing your writing!